In June of 1993, Linda Lam, Anna Knox, and Julie Stanton decided to start a mothers’ club in Southern Marin but they needed at least $500 in start-up funds. After making various presentations, they obtained donations from the Rotary Club in Tiburon, the Mayor of Mill Valley’s own business, and another organization in Sausalito. The original SMMC Board consisted of 15 members and held its first general meeting in November of 1993. Membership grew to over 100 within a couple of months. Now, many years later, SMMC membership has grown to almost 1,000 with over 30 Board members in place to support the Club’s growth and operation.
Today we offer an amazing and varied set of services to our members including:
- Over 100 playgroups, both age-based and interest-based
- Bi-monthly social activities (for moms and kids or moms only)
- Educational seminars
- Quarterly family events
- A monthly newsletter (mailed to every member)
- An extremely active online forum where members connect to discuss mom-related topics, post items for sale in the classifieds section and, coming soon, an on-line reviews section where members comment on businesses in the area
- Support to families with special needs such as the birth of a new baby or hardship with our “Meals for Moms” program where fellow members deliver meals to families that need a little extra help.
- Support to local charities through collections at our quarterly family events
- Community Relations events such as a beach clean up day